The Services are intended for general audiences and are not intended for individuals younger than the age of 13. We do not knowingly collect personal information from individuals younger than the age of 13.
Information We Collect About You
You may provide Follett with "Personal Information" (which is information that can be used to contact or specifically identify an individual, such as your full name, mailing address, mobile number, and email address), account information (such as a password or other information that helps us confirm that it is you accessing your account) and demographic or other information (such as your gender, age or birthdate, zip code and information about your interests and preferences). We will also collect payment information (typically, credit card account information) if you choose to purchase products or services through the Services. And, when you make a purchase or otherwise transact with Follett, whether online or offline, we will retain information regarding those purchases and transactions, such as products purchased, location of purchase, how frequently you buy, games you play, offers you redeem and rewards you earn and redeem. Any information combined with Personal Information will be treated as Personal Information.
Community Forums and User Content
Follett provides the opportunity to participate and post content publicly in forums, through interactive features and through other communication functionality ("Community Forums"). You may choose, through such features or otherwise, to submit or post reviews, photographs, videos, questions, comments, suggestions or other content, (collectively, "User Content"). Please note that certain information, such as your name, may be publicly displayed on the Services along with your User Content.
Information the Services Automatically Collect or Processes
We and our third party service providers, including analytics providers and third party content providers, may automatically collect certain information whenever you access and use the Community ("Usage Information"). Usage Information may include the type of device you are using to access the Community, the areas of the Community that you access or use, and the time of day you used the Community, among other information. If you are in a store and interacting with Follett Higher Education Group, we may process data about you through a camera or similar technologies and we may make offers to you based on that data. In addition, we automatically collect your IP address or other unique identifier ("Device Identifier") for any mobile phone, tablet or other device you may use to access the Services. A Device Identifier is a number that is automatically assigned or connected to the device you use to access the Community, and our servers identify your device by its Device Identifier. Some mobile service providers may also provide us or our third party service providers with information regarding the physical location of the device used to access the Community. Usage Information is generally non-identifying, but if we associate it with you as a specific and identifiable person, we treat it as Personal Information.
The methods used to collect Usage Information may include the following:
Web Beacons. Small graphic images or other web programming code called web beacons (also known as "1x1 GIFs" or "clear GIFs") may be included in our web pages and e-mail messages. Web beacons may be invisible to you, but any electronic image or other web programming code inserted into a web page or e-mail can act as a web beacon. Web beacons or similar technologies may be used for a number of purposes, including, without limitation, to count visitors to the Community, to monitor how users navigate the Community, to count how many e-mails that were sent were actually opened or to count how many particular articles or links were actually viewed.
Embedded Scripts. An embedded script is programming code that is designed to collect information about your interactions with the Community, such as the links you click on. The code is temporarily downloaded onto your device from our web server or a third party service provider, is active only while you are connected to the Community, and is deactivated or deleted thereafter.
In addition, we may use a variety of other technologies that collect similar information for security and fraud detection purposes.
Information Third Parties Provide About You
Functionality on the Services may permit interactions that you initiate between the Services and a third party web site or service ("Social Features"). Examples of Social Features include enabling you to "like" or "share" content from the Services to other web sites or services or to "like" or "share" our page on a third party service; to log-in using your username and password for a third party site or service; and to otherwise connect the Services to a third party web site or service . If you choose to share content or to otherwise post information through the Services to a third party site or service, or vice versa, that information may be publicly displayed. Similarly, if you post information on a third party platform that references a Follett product (e.g., by using a Twitter hashtag associated with a Follett Brand product in your tweet), your post may be published on our Services. Also, both Follett and the third party may have access to certain information about you and your use of the Services and the third party site or service. In addition, we may receive information about you if other users of a third party web site give us access to their profiles and you are one of their "connections" or information about you is otherwise accessible through your "connections" web page, profile page, or similar page on a social networking or other third party web site or interactive service.
How Follett Uses Your Information
Any information you provide or that is collected by Follett Higher Education Group may be combined with any other information you provide to us or that we collect through the Services or otherwise. Follett Higher Education Group may use the information it collects or receives, including Personal Information and Usage Information:
- To allow you to participate in features we offer or to provide related customer service including, without limitation, to respond to your questions, complaints or comments;
- To tailor content, recommendations and offers we display or otherwise provide to you;
- To confirm or fulfill an order you have made or authorize or complete a transaction you have requested;
- To provide you with information, products or services that you have requested or agreed to receive or that we otherwise believe will interest you, either on behalf of Follett Higher Education Group or third parties, and which may include advertisements or special offers;
- To provide you with location features and services (e.g., allowing you to "check in" at a store or telling you about local deals and events)
- To process your registration, including verifying that information you provide is active and valid;
- To improve the Services and our products and for internal business purposes, analyzing usage of our Services and purchase of our products;
- To contact you with regard to your use of the Services and, in our discretion, changes to our policies for the Services;
- To enforce applicable agreements and policies for the Services; and
How Follett Shares Your Information
Follett may share your Information in the following cases:
- With Affiliates and Third-Party Service Providers: Follett may disclose your Information to our affiliates and third-party service providers. Third party service providers are not authorized by Follett to use or disclose your Information except as necessary to perform services on Follett's behalf or comply with legal requirements.
- With Your Consent: Follett may share your Information with other third parties with your consent.
- To Prevent Harm or Loss: Follett may disclose Information when we believe, in our sole discretion, disclosure is necessary or appropriate to prevent physical harm or financial loss or in connection with suspected or actual illegal activity.
- Non-Personal Information. We may share non-Personal Information, such as aggregate user statistics, demographic information and Usage Information with third parties, including advertisers, content providers, and analytics providers, and third parties may collect non-Personal Information when you download or use the Services.
- Service Providers. We may use third parties to perform certain services on our behalf, such as fulfilling and processing orders, tracking analytics, or performing other administrative services. We may provide these companies with access to user information, including Personal Information, to carry out the services they are performing.
- Sweepstakes, Contests and Promotions. We may offer sweepstakes, contests, and other promotions. If you choose to enter a promotion, Personal Information, such as your name and shipping address, may be disclosed to third parties or the public in connection with the administration of such promotion, including, without limitation, in connection with winner selection, prize fulfillment, and as required by law or permitted by the Promotion's official rules, such as on a winners list.
THIRD PARTY AD SERVERS AND ANALYTICS PROVIDERS
Follett Higher Education Group works with network advertisers, ad agencies, analytics service providers and other vendors to serve third party advertisements on and through the Services, to provide us with information regarding traffic on the Services, including the pages viewed and the actions users take when visiting the Services; to serve our advertisements on other web sites, within mobile Apps, and elsewhere online; and to provide us with information regarding the use of the Services and the effectiveness of our advertisements. For example, if you click one of our advertisements, our service provider(s) may be able to tell us the advertisement you clicked on and where you were viewing the advertisement; likewise, if you click on an ad you see on our Services, our service provider(s) may be able to tell which page you were visiting on our Services and pass that information to the advertiser. The advertisements you see may be served by one or more third parties, who may use information about your activities on the Services, and other web sites and services, to provide you targeted advertising based upon your interests.
These third party service providers may set and access their own tracking technologies on your device (including cookies and web beacons) and may otherwise collect or have access to information about you (such as your general interest in higher education and certain subjects and Usage Information). Cookies and web beacons, including those set by third party network advertisers, may be used to, among other things, target advertisements, prevent you from seeing the same advertisements too many times and to conduct research regarding the usefulness of certain advertisements to you.
While we may use a variety of service providers to perform advertising services, some of these companies are members of the Network Advertising Initiative ("NAI") or the Digital Advertising Alliance ("DAA") Self-Regulatory Program for Online Behavioral Advertising. You may want to visit http://www.networkadvertising.org/managing/opt_out.asp, which provides information regarding targeted advertising and the "opt-out" procedures of NAI members. You may also want to visit or http://www.aboutads.info/choices/, which provides information regarding targeted advertising and offers an "opt-out" by participating companies in the DAA Self-Regulatory Program. Please note opting out through these mechanisms does not opt you out of being served advertising. You will continue to receive generic ads while visiting the Services and elsewhere online.
OPTING-OUT/UPDATING YOUR INFORMATION
You may be able to review and update your account information through the Services, including certain Personal Information and your communications preferences. You may opt out of receiving marketing e-mails from us by following the opt-out instructions provided to you in those e-mails. Please note that we reserve the right to send you certain communications relating to your account or use of the Services (for example, order confirmations) and these transactional account messages may be unaffected if you opt-out from marketing communications. If you sign up to receive SMS or MMS messages that we may offer, you may unsubscribe by replying "STOP."
Third Party Applications/Websites
We take commercially reasonable security measures to secure the personal information submitted to us, both during transmission and once we receive it. However, no method of electronic transmission or method of electronic storage is 100% secure. Therefore, we cannot guarantee the security of any information you submit and you do so at your own initiative and risk.
Consent To Transfer
If you are located outside of the United States, please be aware that information we collect may be transferred to and processed in the United States or another country. By using the Services, or providing us with any information, you fully understand and unambiguously consent to this transfer, processing and storage of your information in the United States, or another country other than your own, jurisdictions in which the privacy laws may not be as comprehensive as those in the country where you reside and/or are a citizen.
How to Contact Us
Last revised on June 26, 2013
Follett of Canada, Inc. Privacy Statement:
Follett of Canada, Inc. ("Follett", "we", "us" or "our") takes steps intended to meet privacy principles and requirements with respect to personal information under applicable Canadian privacy legislation. The purpose of this statement is to inform our customers and other individuals we deal with ("you" or "your") how we collect, use, disclose and protect your personal information. Personal information is information about an identifiable individual, as more particularly described under applicable privacy legislation. This statement applies to our collection, use and disclosure of personal information in Canada. This statement does not apply to information about our employees or to information that is not personal information.
Personal Information We Collect
Follett and its agents and representatives collect personal information in a number of circumstances in the course of carrying out our business and providing you with our products and services. Personal information we collect includes:
- name, address, email address, telephone number, and other contact information;
- shipping and billing addresses and other shipment details about you or persons to whom you supply books or other merchandise or services;
- if you choose to open an efollett.com or follettbooks.com account, your email address and account password;
- credit card or other payment and financial information;
- your product and service preferences, age, gender, and other demographic information, some of which may be optional;
- transaction and usage history including your shopping, purchases, traffic patterns, the pages you visit and related site usage inside our website and customer profiles;
- information you provide when you contact us by any means including in person, online, by phone, or by mail; and such other information we may collect with consent or as permitted or required by law.
Use of Personal Information
Follett generally uses personal information for the following purposes:
- carrying out our business, including processing and servicing orders, billing, collecting payment and accounting for those purchases;
- sending order confirmations and delivery information;
- if you create an efollett.com or follettbooks.com account, keeping your personal billing and shipping information, including your credit card number, on file for future purchases unless you tell us not to;
- responding to your questions or enquiries;
- identifying your purchasing preferences;
- unless you opt out, contacting you by telephone, mail and/or email with respect to Follett products and special offers or promotions;
- establishing your eligibility for special offers and discounts;
- maintaining business records including records concerning purchases and payments on your account;
- to detect and protect against fraud;
- meeting legal, regulatory, insurance, security and processing requirements; and otherwise with consent or as permitted or required by law.
Disclosure of Your Personal Information
Follett discloses personal information in the following circumstances:
- to manage and administer accounts including to process credit card, cheques or other forms of payment;
- to enforce any debts that you may owe to us;
- to detect and protect against fraud;
- to our affiliates (including outside of Canada) for internal audit, management, billing, insurance, regulatory or administrative purposes;
- as necessary to meet legal, regulatory, insurance, audit, processing and security requirements; and
- with your consent, or as permitted or required by law such as where we are required to do so by subpoena, court order, warrant or legally permitted inquiry by a government agency.
Note that Follett's parent company is located in the United States and personal information you provide to us will be collected, used, disclosed, stored and processed in the United States or elsewhere outside of Canada for the purposes described in this Privacy Statement. Measures Follett takes to protect your personal information are subject to Canadian, United States and other foreign laws applicable to Follett and its affiliates and agents, for example, lawful requirements to disclose personal information to government authorities in those countries.
Service Providers. Follett may transfer personal information to third party agents or service providers (including affiliates acting in this capacity) we engage to provide various services on our behalf, such as: hosting and maintaining our website; ad-serving (placing third party ads on our sites); delivering certain merchandise you purchase; mailing; providing some of the services you use on our websites; managing some of our internal operations such as data analysis, site activity data collection and e-mails; call centre, administrative, billing or other processing services; or otherwise to collect, use, disclose, store or process personal information on our behalf for the purposes described in this Privacy Statement. Some of these service providers or affiliates may be located outside of Canada, including in the United States, and your personal information may be collected, used, disclosed, stored and processed in the United States or elsewhere outside of Canada for the purposes described in this Privacy Statement. Reasonable contractual and other measures we may take to protect your personal information while processed or handled by these service providers are subject to legal requirements in Canada, the United States and other foreign countries applicable to our affiliates, agents and service providers, for example lawful requirements to disclose personal information to government authorities in those countries.
Business Transactions. Personal information may be used by Follett and disclosed to parties connected with the proposed or actual financing, securitization, insuring, sale, assignment or other disposal of all or part of Follett or our business or assets, for the purposes of evaluating and/or performing the proposed transaction. These purposes may include, as examples:
- permitting those parties to determine whether to proceed or continue with the transaction
- fulfilling reporting, inspection or audit requirements or obligations to those parties.
Assignees or successors of Follett or our business or assets may use and disclose your personal information for similar purposes as those described in this Privacy Statement.
Legal, Regulatory, etc.Follett may disclose your personal information as necessary to meet legal, regulatory, industry self-regulatory, insurance, audit, and security requirements, and as otherwise with your consent or as permitted or required by law (including as required by applicable Canadian and foreign laws applicable to Follett or our agents and service providers, and including lawful requirements to disclose personal information to government authorities in those countries).
Our website, follettofcanada.ca, uses an application called a "cookie" to improve your shopping experience. A cookie is an element of data that allows us to recognize you and provide information you need to make it easier to use our site. We use temporary session cookies on all of our secure pages to assign and store a session ID to you so that you can move uninterrupted between the areas of our site. This session ID is also used for internal reporting purposes. It is not personally identifiable to you, and this type of cookie does not leave any retrievable information on your hard drive.
You can always set your browser to notify you when you receive a cookie, allowing you to decide whether or not to accept it. At no time can the cookie read any information from your hard drive, and you can remove it from your machine at any time.
Links to other websites
Certain links within follettofcanada.ca may take you to other websites which are not maintained by Follett. The inclusion of such links is for your convenience only and should not be interpreted as an endorsement of the owner/sponsor of the site or the content of the site. Such websites may contain terms and conditions, privacy provisions, confidentiality provisions or other provisions that differ from the terms and conditions applicable to follettofcanada.ca. Follett assumes no responsibility for the content, accuracy, validity, legality or otherwise of any materials or information contained on such sites.
Consent to the collection, use and disclosure of personal information may be given in various ways. Consent can be express (for example, orally, electronically or on a form you may sign describing the intended uses and disclosures of personal information) or implied (for example, when you provide information necessary for a service you have requested). You may provide your consent in some circumstances where notice has been provided to you about our intentions with respect to your personal information and you have not withdrawn your consent for an identified purpose, such as by using an "opt out" option provided, if any. Consent may be given by your authorized representative (such as a legal guardian or a person having a power of attorney).Generally, by providing us with personal information, we will assume that you consent to our collection, use and disclosure of such information for the purposes identified or described in this Privacy Statement, if applicable, or otherwise at the time of collection.
You may withdraw your consent to our collection, use and disclosure of personal information at any time, subject to contractual and legal restrictions and reasonable notice. You may withdraw your consent by contacting us at the contact information provided below. Note that if you withdraw your consent to certain uses of your personal information, we may no longer be able to provide certain of our products or services. Note also that where we have provided or are providing products or services to you, your consent will be valid for so long as necessary to fulfil the purposes described in this Privacy Statement or otherwise at the time of collection, and you may not be permitted to withdraw consent to certain necessary uses and disclosures (for example, but not limited to, maintaining reasonable business and transaction records, disclosures to Canadian and foreign government entities as required to comply with laws, and reporting on credit information after credit has been granted, if applicable).
Follett collects, uses and discloses your personal information with your consent, except as permitted or required by law. We may be required or permitted under statute or regulation to collect, use or disclose personal information without your consent, for example to comply with a court order, to comply with local or federal regulations or a legally permitted inquiry by a government agency, or to collect a debt owed to us.
We take reasonable steps to protect your personal information using physical, electronic or procedural security measures appropriate to the sensitivity of the information in our custody or control, which may include safeguards to protect against loss or theft, as well as unauthorized access, disclosure, copying, use or modification. Authorized employees, agents and mandataries of Follett who require access to your personal information in order to fulfil their job requirements will have access to your personal information.
Access, Correction and Contacting Us
Follett may establish and maintain a file of your personal information for the purposes described above, which will be accessible at 381 Kent Street, Suite 327, Ottawa, Ontario, K2P 2A8. If you wish to request access or correction of your personal information in our custody or control, you may write to the above address, attention Chief Information Security Officer. Your right to access or correct your personal information is subject to applicable legal restrictions. We may take reasonable steps to verify your identity before granting access or making corrections. If you wish to make inquiries or complaints or have other concerns about our personal information practices, you may write to us as described above or telephone us at 613-230-6148.
Privacy Statement Changes
This Privacy Statement may be revised from time to time. If we intend to use or disclose personal information for purposes materially different than those described in this statement, we will make reasonable efforts to notify affected individuals, if necessary, including by revising this Privacy Statement. If you are concerned about how your personal information is used, you should check our website periodically or contact us as described above to obtain a current copy of this statement. We urge you to request and review this Privacy Statement frequently to obtain the current version. Your continued provision of personal information, purchase of products or use of our services following any changes to this Privacy Statement constitutes your acceptance of any such changes. This privacy statement is effective as of March 1, 2011.